Tuesday 20 January 2015

DLP Week03: The Colour Wheel

The theme for week three of the Documented Life Project was the Colour Wheel. The prompt was a quote by Georgia O'Keeffe "I've found I could say things with colour and shapes that I couldn't say any other way".

I've created a double page inspired by this challenge. The first is an actual colour wheel, which I've always wanted to do and this was a good opportunity to try and understand the relationships between colours a bit more.  The second is a colorful page of paint splatters with a quote which I've loved ever since I first saw it in my friend, Cindy Wirl's blog header.

"Life is a great canvas and you should throw all the paint on it you can"

Double-page spread for DLP week 03


1. The Colour Wheel

I used ready-mixed colours from the Caran D'ache Neocolor II watersoluble crayon range to make this wheel. These colours are only representative and may differ from the "official" colours in the colour wheel. I've included a little study underneath which will help me remember some of the colour relationships.
  • The analogous relationship uses two or more colours next to each other on the colour wheel.
  • The split complimentary is a combination of any one colour with the two colours immediately next to its compimentary (the complimentary being the one directly opposite).
  • Triadic is any three colours equally distributed around the wheel (for example, the primary colours blue, red and yellow form a triadic relationship.)
If you would like to find out more about colour relationships, I recommend this web page.





2. My main project

For my main project this week, I used an inexpensive (unbranded) set of neon spray paints, which I sprayed and dripped randomly on my page. The good thing about paints as opposed to inks is that they are permanent once dry, which allowed me to use colours on top of each other, which normally would have blended into mud. I dried each layer before adding another to make sure they wouldn't mix.

I used white acrylic paint for stamping on top of my paint splatters and added my quote. I outlined the text with a black fine point marker and added some doodle circles as well.

It's a very simple page but I really like how it turned out. Although, I must say, at first I didn't like it, so much so that I tore it out my journal. I'm not sure what possessed me! When I added the white stamping, however, it began to grow on me. I think the stamping has really transformed it. 

Note to self: Do not rip out a page until it is completely finished and you have decided that you definitely, without a doubt can NOT live with it. Luckily, I was able to stick the page back into my journal by painstakingly repairing the rips along  the spiral edge with tiny bits of masking tape. Who would have thought that was even possible!









No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below.