Thursday 13 November 2014

Art Journal page: Happiness (WOIW)

The inspirational word this week in the Kraafters Kommunity on Google+ is Happiness.

Happiness is something we all aspire to, yet how many of us can honestly say that we are truly, unconditionally happy? All too often we pursue happiness outside of us and plan to achieve it some time in the future, often connecting it to a certain event that needs to happen before we can allow ourselves to be happy. That day will never come. We have to make the most of our present situation and try to be happy here and now. Happiness is not something that happens to us, but rather an attitude. Happiness is a choice and I choose to be happy!

I created this journal page with this sentiment in mind. I started by applying two layers of gesso to my journal page in order to seal the surface and also to neutralize the brown tone of the craft paper. I used a painting technique which is based on applying and removing layers of acrylic paint to achieve a unique colour variation. I wrote about this technique in a previous post here.

When the paint was dry, I outlined the heart with a black Stabillo All pencil, added some texture stamps using white acrylic paint off my Gelli plate and stamped my title and the little birds with black archival ink. I had to go through the stamp marks with a black paint marker as well to make them stand out a bit more against the background.

I'm quite happy with this page - it would be ironic if I wasn't! I choose to be happy with it.









No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below.