Friday 31 October 2014

Word of Inspiration Wednesday: BOOK

This week's WOIW topic in the Kraafters Kommunity on G+ is the word BOOK.

Whenever I think about love of reading, I always think of Jane Austen. This page was inspired by one particular event I remember. I took English literature at university and at the end of the semester I had to return Pride and Prejudice to the library. I hadn't quite finished it yet, so I sat down in the garden on campus and read it all the way through before returning it. It was a lovely early summer's day and I still remember it like it was yesterday. Just one of those rare, precious memories life throws at you at random that you have to hang on to and treasure forever. (OK, let's not get too sentimental about this!)

I still enjoy reading, though these days I would consider it my second favourite activity. When Jane Austen wrote "there is no enjoyment like reading" she obviously hadn't discovered mixed media arts!

My page consists of a distressed background painted and stenciled on book papers (yes, another Jane Austen novel, which I have on my Kindle, so I don't need the book any more). I printed the quote and outlined the letters by hand as they were a bit faint. I double outlined the text blocks with black and white pens to bring them out of the busy background a bit more. The photo is off the internet. I think it's Anne Hathaway portraying Jane Austen. (Scroll to the bottom of the page for the movie trailer!) I just cut around the figure and adhered it with gel medium. The gel medium created a non-porous surface, which allowed me to shade around the cut-out with a black marker pen. I finished with white doodling on the figure and the stencil pattern.







No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below.